Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman, M.D.

This doctor understands, of course, but he can communicate his understanding to those who aren't doctors. It is not that doctors don't recognize errors. Groopman shows the errors and the pain doctors suffer. For us ordinary doctors Groopman finds world-class doctors, the best of the best, who have made errors. Groopman gives examples of errors he suffered as a patient.

I find his discussion of medical errors far more useful, far more human, far more TRUE than the systems approach and protocol-driven solutions of the Institutes of Medicine and other groups. Groopman wants high standards and good communication. There are those who think they can measure quality. I remain unconvinced. I am not saying it is impossible. I am not saying they will fail. I am saying they can't do it now.

No comments: