Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Tim Keller

I started this book as a skeptic. Not of Christianity, but I didn't like the title, and in some circles I had run into, Keller held almost guru status.

The book won me over. The writing is strikingly clear, the arguments sound, and the tone peaceful and full of confident calm.

Keller has been listening to people. He has listened long enough and closely enough to see the positions behind the questions. And those deeper questions fall into a few categories. He has conversed with people over these hard questions, serious questions by serious people.

He has also noted and presents persuasively that people believe out of a social context and experiential context as well as an intellectual context.

He quotes C. S. Lewis frequently as do many authors, but I sense that he is a gifted, clear thinker himself and may indeed be worthy to stand in the apologetic lineage of Lewis. I was gripped and encouraged by this book from the first page to the last.

No comments: